Every web site is different and has varying requirements. This make pricing up for a web site a very flexible scenario, and the pricing policy is not always obvious. For example, it does not always depend on the overall number of pages in your site, as you might expect. Whether this is for a 1 page site or a larger site of many pages, the initial design and preparation work required can often be about the the same, which can make it appear that a small site is expensive when compared to a larger site. I do, however, try to keep prices reasonable and reflective of the size and complexity of your site requirements
As for a small site, but where the initial page is in a completely different layout. Often this will be a big graphic of some sort, with a single link into your main/initial web page. Landing pages are terrible for search engines (as they normally contain practically no text information for them to index), so I will normally concentrate my SEO activities on your main page instead.
A larger site often means adding additional pages in the same overall style to a small site (with or without a landing page), and as long as you continue to supply the actual content, so that there is not too much extra development effort required, I can normally keep the costs down to a reasonable level. As always, the exact pricing for your requirements will be agreed with you in advance, but a typical example would be an additional £20.00 for each extra five (or up to five) pages.
If you want part of your site to have a different style, requiring a new template to be created, that will certainly involve more development effort. Whilst every request will be different with differing amounts of effort to produce, a typical fee for each additional template and up to five pages based on that template will usually be between £80.00 to £200.00 depending on the complexity.
Described in more detail on the Hints & Tips page, along with a working example, this is a utility that can be placed on your site to improve the method of displaying single or multiple images. The basic system can be added to your site for £20.00 which includes attaching the feature to up to 10 photographs or images. More photographs may add a small amount to the cost, depending on numbers involved, and will be agreed with you in advance of the work.
I'm beginning to look at offering a full eCommerce solution for customers where required. But for now, if you only have one or just a few items to sell and wish to take payment through the PayPal scheme, I can include a page for your items for sale, usually for £50 - £150 depending on the amount of items and complexity of your selling requirements.
Often used on personal web sites, these will give an indication of the number of people who have visited your web site. There are many companies that provide hit counters in a huge variety of shapes and sizes. Some also provide statistics (more information on this below). I will try to locate a counter that will go well with your web page design, usually opting for one of the many free services on offer to keep your costs to a minimum. For the investigation, providing alternatives for you to choose from, setting up your account with the company and inserting the counter onto your home/main page, a fee between £20 - £50 is normally payable. If you want the extra services of one of the paid hit counter suppliers, that can be arranged by adding the sign-up cost of your chosen service onto the fee.
Web Site Statistics:
This features allows you to go beyond a simple hit counter. Statistics can include a whole host of useful information, such as the number of visitors to your site, where they came from, what search queries were used to find your site, operating system information, which part of the world are they located in and so much more. I usually use the eXtreme web site statistics service, which is free to use (for the basic system) and requires a small icon to be place on the page you want the statistics for. I find this preferable to a page counter for business web sites, but the final decision is yours of course. For setting up your eXtreme account and adding the necessary icon to your home/main page, I charge a fixed fee of £20.
Business web sites or larger sites can often benefit from having a search box utility on their web pages. Though any site can have one of course. One such free service I often use is from FreeFind.com, and I have a working example of it on this web site (see above-right). These utilities allow your visitors to search just your site (optionally the whole web) for the information that they are after. The search method is very flexible and the resulting index page can even be customised to look similar to your own web pages. You can even receive regular reports by email about the searches that have been performed on your site if required. Setting up this account will need discussion with yourself about the options you want from the system, and the setting up of the account for you as well as performing all the customising required is quite an in-depth process. So I charge £40 for adding this useful feature to your web site.
My basic site can contain a simple contact form if required, which is protected from web spiders harvesting your email address by using my individually customised PHP code. This will verify the input on the form, get confirmation that a human is entering the data (not a web spider), and it will send both you and the visitor an appropriate email. This is all in the price of the basic site. If you want additional information on the form, or require more forms on your web site, then this can be arranged. Your requirements can obviously vary considerably. Adding a simple field (or two) with PHP validation to the basic form, can possibly included in the price. A few more fields will typically cost £20.00 or so. A whole new form with validation will typically be £40.00 to £80.00 depending on complexity. All prices will be agreed up front of course.
The above calculator is for sample use only and does not constitute any form of accurate estimate or quote for any particular web site design. Every web site application will be individually scoped out and the priced agreed with you before work begins.
Content Management System (CMS) Sites
Content Management System sites can be installed, your chosen template customised and prepared for you, but this is so variable depending on your requirements, that a simple price sample is not possible here. Whilst a very simple CMS site may be possible for £250 or so, it is more common for a starting price to be £500 - £1500 or more, depending on your requirements. My own KKCCC system is modular based, and has a £150 price for the core application installation, customisation and database set-up, and from £50 - £250 per module, depending on the modules and customisation of the feature(s) required. More details available on request.
If you would like some design ideas to think about, please see my Web Design Hints & Tips page. If you are ready to discuss your new web site requirements, please get in contact through my Contacts page.
Terms and Conditions
- All work remains my intellectual property for the first year. On the first anniversary of your site, I will supply all FTP, userid and password details used on your site, and the live web site will become "yours". However, I will retain any templates when I have built or customised them myself, and will retain the right to use them for other purposes in the future.
- For an agreed maintenance fee, I will be happy to continue to maintain your site beyond the first year if requested.
- All sites will include "Web site designed by KenKode" or "Web site designed and maintained by KenKode" as appropriate unobtrusively at the bottom of your web pages, with a link back to this web site. For a £50.00 fee, this can be omitted if necessary
- All fees for external resources, e.g. license for template, will be charged at cost. Any such costs will be fully discussed and agreed with you at the initial design stage before going ahead with the purchase.
- I am a single person company, and cannot make guarantees about how quickly I can produce samples, prepare and make live web sites or make changes or updates to existing web sites, as I may be constrained by other activities. However, I do promise to make best efforts to complete any task requested.
- Even where I may use services which is described as being free (such as a free site search box or a free statistics collection service), I still charge an appropriate admin/set-up fee to cover the cost of customising the service for your site.
- I will make small changes (such as spelling corrections or small additions/deletions to existing pages) at no extra cost. Prices for larger changes or additional pages will agreed with you in advance.
- You will be asked if I can use your site as a reference site. This is optional, but it will provide an extra external link to your web site, which may help with search engine ranking of your site.
- Illegal, unethical or racial work will never be considered and I reserve the right to refuse to undertake any form of work as I see fit, without giving reasons.
- For a new web site, a deposit, as described above, is required before initial designs are prepared. On approval of the work and agreed quote for a new site, 50% of the final total will need to be received before I commence work on building the full site. A final payment for the remainder of the work will be required once the site is live. This payment is required within 28 days.
- For additional updates after the web site has gone live, we will agree a price in advance for the work you request. Payment for additional work will be required within 28 days of completion of the work.
- Failure to provide payment within 28 days may result in removal of all or part of your site until payment is received in full. Legal action may also be taken where necessary to recover unpaid fees, though I would always hope we can come to an amicable agreement well before any type of action would have to be taken.
- I reserve the right to update these Terms and Conditions at any time, as necessary.